United Friends of the Children (UFC), a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of Los Angeles County foster youth, is seeking a focused, thoughtful and hardworking Property Management/Housing Coordinator to join UFC’s Pathways Housing Program team and play a critical role in growing and managing UFC’s housing programs.
About the Organization:
Established in 1979, United Friends of the Children works with current and former foster youth to develop the necessary skills to graduate from high school, earn a bachelor’s degree, find a job, secure a first apartment, and build strong and positive relationships with caring adults. By building relationships with youth over an extended period, UFC’s programs focus on commitment and consistency.
About the Pathways Program:
Pathways provides quality housing and intensive support services to 18 to 24-year-old former foster youth in a model that requires increasing levels of personal responsibility and initiative from its participants. The program is designed to assist youth who have emancipated from foster care by helping them obtain stable and secure housing, secure meaningful employment, further education goals, and build the life skills they need to become financially self-sufficient and emotionally stable adults.
Overview of the Position:
UFC is seeking a focused, thoughtful and hardworking Property Management/Housing Coordinator (PMHC) who will play an important role in supporting and managing the Pathways Program through a period of tremendous growth. Under the direction of the Property Management/Housing Manager, the Property Management/Housing Coordinator (PMHC) oversees the operations and maintenance of UFC’s residential properties and ensures that the residents maintain their units in clean and livable conditions. The PMHC is also charged with the organization’s outreach to affordable housing developers, leasing agents and other potential providers of permanent, stable housing options for former program participants
The PMHC will work standard business hours Monday-Friday (except Tuesdays from 12-8) and weekends and evenings as necessary. The PMHC will be based out of UFC’s downtown office but will engage in extensive travel throughout the week to UFC’s housing sites and other locations within Los Angeles County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Property Management & Housing
- Assists Property Management and Housing Manger in overseeing the operation and maintenance of UFC’s residential properties.
- Supports property management company in ensuring that all property management personnel are performing their job duties.
- Embraces UFC’s high performance standard in all housing and facilities operations.
- Regularly assesses the condition of the properties and communicates with the property management staff regarding on-going property needs and resident concerns.
- Collaborates with the Pathways program staff to assist the youth in transitioning from the housing program into their own apartments.
- Maintains and expands a resource list of housing options for exiting youth.
- Assists in processing applications for youth to permanent housing options.
- Ensure UFC residential properties are prepped and ready for stakeholder site visits and/or inspections.
Youth Training and Counseling
- Trains youth regarding high standards of apartment maintenance and basic landlord/tenant issues.
- Supervises move-in and move-out procedures for the Pathways Housing Program sites.
- Inspects apartments on a quarterly basis at minimum, delivers violations to youth who do not comply with program or house rules and works with and coaches youth to correct violations when possible.
- Assist Property Management and Housing Manager with managing strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders on behalf of UFC regarding housing policy concerns.
- Develop relationships with potential landlords of apartment sites in affordable and desirable areas to which youth could ultimately transition from the TLP.
- Records relevant housing information (including rental payment and youth violations) in to program database.
- Maintains record of housing inspections and records data in UFC’s ETO database.
- Assist with Maintaining UFC properties apartment map document, caseload distribution, and anticipated move-in and move-out reporting.
- Data entry as needed into ETO database.
General UFC Responsibilities:
Acts as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement UFC’s organizational values:
Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact
Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth, community and each other
Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation
Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups
Work together as one organization
Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s preferred).
- Minimum three years of experience in property management or related field, specifically related to leasing and apartment acquisition.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting a plus.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations preferred.
- Extensive travel within in Los Angeles County required. Must have valid CDL and an insured and operational vehicle
- Working knowledge of Fair Housing Law; Experience with Section 8 and other government funding sources including Tax Credit (TCAC requirements).
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to advocate for youth regarding their housing needs.
- Strong problem-solving and crisis intervention skills
- Detail-oriented and organized with the ability to balance multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Holds self accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, works both independently and collaboratively and relates tasks to organizational values.
- An understanding of and sensitivity to issues concerning former foster care youth.
- Knowledge and proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook applications.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary history to email@example.com with subject line PROPERTY MANAGEMENT/HOUSING COORDINATOR POSITION.